Course Leader MA Sports Development and Senior Lecturer in Sports Development
Telephone: +44 (0)1242 715154
I started my career in community sports development in 1991. During my time in sports development I have worked with the NHS, the National Probation Service, cardiac rehabilitation services and local authorities. I moved to Sport England as Research Manager in 1998, specialising in researching sports participation.
From my industry background, I progressed in to lecturing in 2005 where I have continued to develop my understanding and interest in community sports development. I now lecture on both postgraduate and undergraduate courses, across a range of modules including community sports development, policy and practice, and research methods.
- MA Leisure Management
- Diploma in Market and Social Research (Market Research Society)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE)
- Diploma in Personal Training and Sports Therapy (DipPT)
- ACSM Health Fitness Instructor
Areas of research interest and teaching expertise
I am currently studying for a PhD in community sports development examining how the sports profession understands and works with local communities.
Other research/consultancy/grant funding
- Extreme Sports (November 2003)
- Sporting Activities in the Great Outdoors (April 2000 and January 2002)
- Sportswear Retailing (January 2002)
- Sports Goods Retailing (January 2001)
- Participation in Sport
- Measuring Sports Participation in the General Household Survey
- Trends in Adult Participation in Sport in Great Britain
- Delivering Best Value through Sport
- Young People and Sport in England, 1999
Mori K., and Hardman J., (2008) A Qualitative Evaluation into key Partners’ Experiences of the Active Start Programme. University of Gloucestershire
Draper S., Mori K., Lloyd-Owen S., Noakes T., (2009) Overdrinking-induced hyponatraemia in the 2007 London Marathon BMJ Case Reports [doi:10.1136/bcr.09.2008.1002]
Harris S., Mori K., and Collins M., (2009) Voluntary sports clubs and their role in delivering national policy for English sport, Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organisations, Vol 20, No 4, 2009, p405 – 423.
Mori, K. (2009) From policy to practice — the role of voluntary sports clubs in delivering sports policy presented at the European Sports Development Symposium , September 2009, Nottingham University
Mori, K. (2008) Getting it right, involving voluntary sports clubs in policy making presented at the European Union conference on ‘The Social Impact of Sport Governance and Management, November 2008, Università L Bocconi, Milan
Mori, K. (1999) Best Value and Performance Indicators for Sport and Leisure presented at the European Sports Convention, Earls Court.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow: Market Research Society (MRS)
- Fellow: Higher Education Academy (HEA)