Facebook Banner, which links to the University of Gloucestershires Facebook Page

Important Information 


  • My university does not have an Erasmus agreement with the University of Gloucestershire. Can I still apply to study there?

If your university does not have an Erasmus agreement with us, then you cannot study here as an Erasmus student. Unfortunately it is not possible to set up an Erasmus agreement at a student's request. However, it is possible to come as a fee-paying associate student. The cost of study will vary depending on whether a student is an EU National or a Non EU National. Please email erasmus@glos.ac.uk for details of the cost and how to apply.

  • Am I allowed to choose modules outside the subject area of the Erasmus agreement?

Erasmus agreements are signed for cooperation in specific subject areas, therefore it is not possible to choose modules outside this.

  • How many modules should I choose?

Students should choose up to 4 modules, totaling no more than 60 CAT points (30 ECTS), per semester. Please note that if you study less than 60 CAT points per semester, you will not be considered a full time student and will have to pay taxes, including council tax.

  • How many ECTS credits are University of Gloucestershire modules worth?

2 CAT points = 1 ECTS. Therefore, a 15 CAT point module would be 7.5 ECTS.

  • I do not have an official certificate to prove my English language level - what should I do?

If you do not have an English language certificate, you should ask your university to provide a letter for you confirming that your English is good enough to follow lectures and write assignments. If possible, the letter should also give your approximate level on the Common European Framework for languages. Please note that we recommend a minimum level of B2 on the CEFR to study in the UK. If your level is very low, you will find it very difficult to follow lectures and write assignments, and this could result in failure of modules. 

  • I am worried that my English language level is too low to study in the UK - what should I do?

 If you have a good level of English but would like some extra preparation in academic English including listening and note-taking skills and essay writing, you should attend the pre-sessional English Course, which runs for 4 weeks before the beginning of semester 1. Please contact intoffice@glos.ac.uk to find out more about this.

  • Where can I find my University of Gloucestershire student number?

You will be emailed with your student number after your application has been approved. Your student number is written in your university offer letter/email. If you have lost this, you should email admissions@glos.ac.uk giving your full name and date of birth.

  • Do I need a visa?

If you have a passport from a country from within the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA), then you do not need a visa to study in the UK.

  • How do I apply for accommodation?

Undergraduate Erasmus students can apply for a room in university Halls of Residence. If you are studying for a full year, you can apply to any Hall on any campus. If you are staying for one semester only, then you can apply for a room in the Challinor Hall of Residence, where 17 rooms are reserved for Erasmus students each semester. Please see the accommodation website for further information.

  • How do I pay for my campus accommodation?

Students are required to pay a £200 booking fee to secure their room prior to arrival. Accommodation fees are then payable in up to 3 termly instalments if you are studying for a full academic year and 2 instalments if you are studying for Semester 2 only. To pay your booking fee please either phone our finance office on 0044-1242-714222 or email the income team on creditcontrol@glos.ac.uk.

  • How long will my accommodation contract be?

Students staying for the full academic year are required to sign a 40 week contract (September - June), even if you intend to vacate your room earlier than this date. Please note that teaching ends in April, with the exam period in May.

Students staying for Semester 1 only are required to sign a contract from September - early January.

Students staying for Semester 2 only are required to sign a contract from January - June. However, students starting in January 2013 will only have accommodation available until March. 

  • Can you help me to find private rented accommodation?

The University has a list of registered housing in a searchable online database, which includes a message board feature for students. You will need to register online for the password.

The Accommodation Office runs house hunting events during August and early September to help students to find rented accommodation. One of these will take place during the International Welcome Week in September 2013.

  • What are the 2012/13 semester dates?

Semester 1 begins on 16th September 2013, but students are encouraged to attend international Welcome Week which starts on the 8th September. Please email internationalstudents@glos.ac.uk for more information.

  • When should I arrive?

Erasmus students joining the University in Semester 1 2013 should ideally arrive for the induction programme on Sunday 8th September 2013.

  • I will be arriving after the induction programme, what should I do?

If you are not attending the Induction Programme, you should come to the Helpzone on Park Campus as soon as you arrive and ask to speak to the International Student Adviser. We will then give you all the information you need.

Please note that you must arrive at the beginning of the course. Students arriving more than 2 weeks late will not be permitted to start.

  • Is there a list of hotel accommodation?

Please email internationalstudents@glos.ac.uk for an up-to-date list.

  • Do I need to take out insurance?

EU citizens do not need separate health insurance, as you are covered by the National Health Service. To access free healthcare, you will need to apply for an EHIC card in your country before you travel to the UK. Please note that this doesn't cover repatriation to your country if you become seriously unwell, so you would need insurance to cover this.

At a minimum, you should insure yourself and your belongings for travel to the UK. For more information, please see our website.

  • I am only staying for semester 1, but the exam period is in semester 2 - will I be able to finish all my study before Christmas?

In this case, you will need to select modules which are assessed by coursework only, and not by exam. If you choose modules that have exams, then you will have to come back in May to take them. Whichever method of assessment you choose, your marks will not be confirmed until after the exam board in June.

  • I have some paperwork to be signed by my home university - who can sign this?

Please bring all documents to the Helpzone at Park to be signed. Please note that it is the student's responsibility to ensure all the relevant documents have been signed and approved.

  • When will I get my transcript of results?

All the marks from the academic year are confirmed by the Exam Board, which is held in June each year. You will not be able to use your credit at your home university until after this Exam Board, although you might get provisional marks from your module tutor which are not confirmed. All results are published online, so you will be able to access them from home. We will also send you a transcript in June/early July. Please make sure that the contact address on your student record is up-to-date.


University of Gloucestershire, The Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 2RH. Telephone +44 (0)844 8010001.