To make the most of these sessions it is important that you:
1. Plan ahead
- Start work on any assignment as soon as you can; this is good practice as it gives you time
to do research, formulate your ideas and write your paper in good time.
- Book your appointment well before your deadline so that you can think about and
implement the advice given to you by the Academic Skills Adviser.
2. Be punctual
- Arrive at least five minutes before your appointment and let the Academic Skills Adviser know you have arrived.
- If you think you will be late, please contact us.
- If you have not arrived ten minutes after the appointed time, you appointment may be
cancelled or allocated to someone else.
3. Consider what you wish to gain from the session
- Think about what you want the Academic Skills Adviser to focus on. Think about the difficulties you have been having with the assignment you are working on, or maybe any recurring issues that have been highlighted by your module tutor.
- Our staff want to help you improve your academic writing skills and will address any issues you raise. However, if they feel that there are other issues that need to be addressed first, they will make you aware of this.
Make sure you bring your assignment with you.
You will need to bring with you:
- A copy of the assignment you have had returned and the feedback sheet or a draft of your current assignment.
- A copy of the assignment brief which will contain information on your assignment, the
learning outcomes and marking criteria.
- If this is your first appointment with Student Achievement it is helpful if you bring other previously marked assignments so that the tutor can see any issues your module tutors have highlighted.