This page contains news and events listings from the Postgraduate Research Centre, including listings of conferences and calls for papers that we have received.
Joint Annual Progress Report
This year the JAPR process will be done via Skills Forge, and the electronic form is now available in the system for you to access.
The only students who are exempt from completing the report are:
• Those students who URDC have confirmed are deregistered during May 2013
• Those students who have submitted their thesis for examination to the Postgraduate Research Centre by the end of May 2013
• Those DBA, DEng and DMC students who are still doing the taught component of their degree
For all other students, completion of this report is mandatory. Please be aware that students who are required to complete the report but do not do so, or whose progress is not satisfactory, will be required to attend the progression boards on 11th July 2013.
What you need to do now
1) Please log into Skills Forge: https://skillsforge.glos.ac.uk/glos/index.jsf
2) Complete the JAPR form with your supervisor(s), using the detailed instructions in this guide:
Completing the Joint Annual Progress Report on ‘Gloucestershire Skills Forge’
3) Your report must be completed by 31st May 2013. After this date the form will no longer be available for you to access on Skills Forge. It is each student’s responsibility to ensure that their report is returned complete and on time.
- Please remember:
- The student should be the last one to sign the form to ensure they read their supervisors' comments and decision. The student's signature will also lock the form.
- If the form is locked before a decision is recorded, the system allows you to remove your student's signature. Please remember that your student will have to add their signature subsequently to lock the form.
What happens after 31st May
Those students who need to attend the progression boards will be contacted by the Postgraduate Research Centre by the end of June via their student email. All other students will receive email confirmation of their progression to the 2013/14 academic year later in the summer.
Please read the Skills Forge Guide for further instructions. Also available on this page:
For the May 2013 report, only those DBA students who are in the thesis stage (post RD1) will be expected to complete a JAPR. These students will be sent detailed instructions on how to complete their JAPR when it becomes available on Skills Forge.
Postgraduate Research Student Conference 2013
You can view the abstracts for this year's conference here.
Research Student 'Coffee Hour'
Next session to be announced soon...
Important Information for Research Degree Students and Supervisors
1) A new revised ‘Handbook of Regulations and Procedures’ is now available. Please make yourself familiar with the contents, and consult it as you make research degree decisions and carry out research degree processes. The revisions have been carried out in relation to our developing Postgraduate Research portfolio and in response to feedback received from supervisors, students and examiners. The revised Handbook can be found here.
2) The Gloucestershire Skills Forge system is now available to assist research students and their supervisors to locate training events, book them and record them as development record. There is also space to reflect on professional development and maintain a Personal Development Plan (PDP). Please note that mandatory processes such as keeping formal supervisory records and Training Needs Analysis (TNA) should now be undertaken via Skills Forge and the Joint Annual Progress Report will also be added to the system for completion at its usual time later in the year. Students and supervisors can access the system on and off campus and on any computer. Please consult the guide ‘An Introduction to Skills Forge’ and spend some time familiarising yourself with how it works. The guide can be found here.
Faculty Organised Research Training Seminars
For dates and details, please follow this link.
Resources for Researchers: A LIS Blog
Library and Information services have created a blog to provide a quick and easy way to communicate information and links to useful resources to researchers in the university. See updates on the left of this page.
Postgraduate Researchers Interested in Sustainability Matters (PRISM) Seminars
ICT Services schedule short 2 hour tutor-led courses at all campuses. New course schedules are released every 2 months. Tailored courses & one-to-one sessions are also available.
Please visit their website.
Information about Endnote
Click the logo below.
Vitae is the UK organisation championing the personal, professional and career development of doctoral researchers and research staff in higher education institutions and research institutes. Click the logo below.
Student Achievement Team
The Student Achievement Team (part of Student Services) offers a wide range of interventions and support options to students seeking to improve their academic work and enhance their study skills.
Visit their website.
University Researchers and the Job Market is a practical career development resource for research staff. It is intended to offer support and encouragement to researchers who are considering their next career move, either inside or outside of academia.
You can also visit the careers centre website by clicking on the logo below.
Conference alerts website
Calls for papers and announcements October 2012
Calls for papers and announcements November 2012
Calls for papers and announcements December 2012
Calls for papers and announcements January 2013
Calls for papers and announcements February 2013
Calls for papers and announcements March 2013
A postgraduate medical humanities conference will be held at Durham University 16th-17th May 2013. More details can be accessed here.
The London International Conference for Advanced Research in Business will be held between 3rd and 5th June 2013 at the University of London. The deadline for submission of papers in 29th April 2013. More infomation and booking details are available here.
A conference on human resource deveopment will be held at Brighton Business School 5th-7th June 2013 on the theme of "continued global economic uncertainty: challenges and opportunities". Please see the conference website for further information.
Queen Mary University of London will hold a postgraduate legal research conference on 6th June 2013, and submissions are invited from all PhD students. You can read more about this event here.
A new conference to be held in Collingwood College, Durham University, between 26th and 28th July 2013 has been announced. The theme will be Coping with Crisis: Re-evaluating the role of Crises in Economic and Social History. The deadline for submission of proposals is 22nd February 2013.
There will be a conference on Representations of Religion in the Media at Liverpool Hope University between 29th-30th July 2013. More information is available here.
An interdisciplinary conference seeking to examine issues at the interface of fear, horror and terror will be held in Oxford between 5th and 7th September 2013. For further information, please visit the conference website.
A conference entitled Strangers, Aliens and Foreigners will be held at Mansfield College, Oxford, between 5th and 7th September 2013. Further information is available at the conference website.
Mansfield College, Oxford, will be hosting a conference on the graphic novel 23rd to 25th September 2013. Further information is available at the conference website.