e-Readers are portable hand-held devices used to access digital text, specifically digital copies of books and magazines though they can also be used for pdf and word files. Most e-readers use liquid ink technology, this means that unlike a normal computer screen there is no glare, reducing glare and enabling use even outside. Liquid ink technology also uses less power ensuring a longer battery life.
- Multiple texts can be uploaded to an e-reader allowing users to have easy access without the associated bulk.
- Resizable text provides benefits for readers with disabilities.
- Word and pdf files can be uploaded however resizing of text may not work with tables and diagrams.
Allow bookmarking and ‘continue reading’ features.
- Some e-readers now allow annotations through use of a stylus on a touch screen.
E-readers available in the Learning Hub
- Sony e-Reader Touch Editor PRS-600 (Quantity = 4)
- Amazon 6.6 inch Kindle (Quantity = 1)
- Amazon 9.7 inch Kindle (Quantity = 1)
- iPad 32GB (Quanitity = 4)